We offer several delightful opportunities to make beautiful music together at JRC:
JRC has three opportunities to get involved in choir. Our Adult, Children, and Family choirs are all under the direction of Danny Wallenberg. Anyone who enjoys singing can join! Contact Danny at email@example.com.
- Adult Choir rehearses most Thursday evenings from 7:45-9:30 pm. We hope you’ll join us!
- The Adult Choir performs 4-6 times a year: for the High Holidays, Zemer Am (a multi-congregational choir concert), Shabbat Jazz Service, and occasional Shabbat evenings.
- We typically perform liturgical music, both modern and traditional scores. Compositions and arrangements by Robert Applebaum have been a big part of our repertoire. We occasionally sing South African pieces because they are fun and add a call for peace and a connection to others around the world.
- The Choir also has featured a number of special performances over the years:
- Cantata – Mishkan Halomot: House of Dreams on, composed by Robert Applebaum, for the dedication of our new building. Bob had been a long-time JRC choir member until he and his wife moved to Palo Alto to be closer to family. We have been honored to perform many of his pieces over the years, including A Friday Nite Jazz Service, and look forward to continuing to do so.
- Ernest Bloch’s Avodath Hakodesh (Sacred Service) with the Music Institute of Chicago Chorale on, having spent much of the year rehearsing for it.
- Our choir has singles, married couples, parents with older children, and one family that is represented by three generations. A few of us have been in the choir for 30 years. We socialize during break time over tea and homemade desserts and enjoy potlucks with choir members and their families.
Children’s and Family Choir
- Practice is during Hebrew School on Sunday mornings from 10:45 am – 11:30 am, spanning the last 15 minutes of the early religious school session and the first 15 minutes of the late session.
- Family Choir adds parents’ voices to the Children’s Choir once a month on Sunday mornings. Dates will be announced.
Heavy Shtetl Klezmer Band
Put a new reed in your mouthpiece, some rosin on your bow, and come shpiel with JRC’s own house band under the direction of Lori Lippitz Chinitz, JRC member and founder of Chicago’s acclaimed Maxwell Street Klezmer Band. Heavy Shtetl performs at a variety of JRC services and programs throughout the year, including Simchat Torah, Hanukkah, and Purim Family Services. Contact Lori Lippitz Chinitz.
Whatever other congregations may offer, we seriously doubt that they have their own in-house rock band! JRC’s Alte Rockers rehearse throughout the year and present a program of original satirical material every Purim at the Oy Vey Cafe.
JRC also hosts adult and children’s events that bring special guest performers to our community offering a connection for our members to the larger Jewish Community. Recent performances have included:
- Billy Jonas – Jewish singer-songwriter, performer, composer, multi-instrumentalist, and educator who brought his joy-filled music to JRC.
The Oy Vey Cafe
The Oy Vey Cafe is JRC’s annual production of song parodies and spoofs performed by JRC’s house band The Alte Rockers and the world-famous Purim Spielers. Costumes encouraged!